July 23, 2013

Peace - can we 'the mango people' offer something?

It is very important for me to assert that this post is triggered by overflow of debates on the subject of secularism, which is hovering across all kinds of public media at the moment in our beloved country. Well, it is but natural that whenever you approach the general elections, this discussion makes THE headline.

This post is certainly not about who is secular and who is not. Neither is the post about the impact of this issue on the outcome of general elections. I barely intend to present an analysis on this subject of any kind either.

Fortunately, I do not belong to any political class and that saves me from headache of pondering over the above matters. I am a normal citizen of this proud country and my point is limited to my fellow citizens. Well, it is for political class to project something or somebody on some or the other lines, but isn’t it important for us to ACT RESPONSIBLY, especially when this political class is looking for masala that would help them make their own cup of tea?

I would like to remind my fellow citizens to not carry any hatred in their hearts. The fact is for the taking that hatred has always provoked more of it and by publicizing this over and over again, we do not do justice to the apt atmosphere of sarv-dharm-sadbhaav.

While watching a video on youtube yesterday, I noticed some links suggesting insult of a person of one nationality by a person of another nationality on a reality show. The video I was watching actually portrayed the message of peace and prosperity and was fabulous. On the contrary, the video with the insult element had more hits and more likes. Isn’t it an irony?

When we do such things, we offer an agenda to all those political parties to divide us for votes. We the people are mainly responsible for thinking and behaving in a certain manner and are limited by our own rule-books. We live with certain pre-conceived notions about everything in life to which we are not exposed and we continue to live happily that ways.

It is demand of humanity that in matters of sensitivities such as religions, caste and creed, we respect each other without any ill feelings. And why only these matters? Respect is very solid foundation of one’s character in the first place. Once you live with respect and offer respect, hatred will nowhere roam around you.

I urge all my fellow citizens to be the ambassadors of peace and prosperity. I wish I could carry the torch of hope, inspiration and peace to my neighboring country myself one day!

PS: here is the beautiful link, I mentioned above.

3 comments:

madhushree said...

superlike.Ultimate need of hour!!
If only each one gives a moment of thought for the sake of peace,a lot can be achieved.Every individual's step towards tranquility can actually result in cumulative effect..for we dont understand fighting for peace shall only result in war,latter can never bring in peace!!I think every single realization shall bring in the change..we all need to join hands n come forward!

Ramesh said...

Very nicely said. But it will take a lot of action by the mango people to really be secular, for in our hearts prejudices and intolerance abound unbelievably.

Organised religion has always caused more harm than good, throughout history. When religion is a personal affair, it is one of the most honourable of human thought. When it becomes organised and public it transforms into mostly horrible divide. Forget inter religious - even inside a religion - Saivites vs Vaishanavites, Shia vs Sunni, Protestant vs Catholic, there is enough division. I am a believer in personalizing religion and abolishing all "religious leaders", intermediaries, and every idiot, who in the name of religion, divides. Of course, this is an utopian dream.

As for your comment on our neighbour, I truly believe that if we encourage free travel between the two countries, peace will automatically come. I was fortunate to visit once on work. It was a powerful enforcement of the fact that we are the same, everything about us is the same, we have the same aspirations and hopes, our cultures are the same and I truly felt at home.

Vishal said...

@ Madhushree - absolutely, only if this becomes true someday above all the individual prejudices! :) Amen!

@ Ramesh - So true, your words set me ponder on the main reasons of these issues. And for your tour, well, even if I haven't been there yet, but can relate to every words of your experience! :)